Fairness Center is a solution to enable people to apply for alternative sanctions online and help courts determine ability to pay in order to provide alternative sanctions.
Fairness Center collects data online and evaluates the data for calculating ability to pay and suggest alternative sanctions, when applicable. By doing this Fairness Center helps reduce the number of incarcerations due to inability to pay.
Yanira Rivera – @Yanira_R – Web Developer
Eduardo Díaz – @Eduardo_D – Web Developer
Alexis Pérez – @Alexis_P – Database Developer/Business
Link to source code: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlZW4DAn7iI5gghtrb9DvwdP2wqB
The Full Story
These were the main objetives of our project
1. Help reduce the amount of incarcerations due to inability to pay LFO
2. Help connect people and court to facilitate access to justice
3. Promote fairness through a systematic application of uniform ability to pay criteria
4. Help streamline the process for court determination of alternative sanctions
5. Facilitate information to judges, helping the court save time and money
Keeping these objectives in mind, we designed a web solution to enable people to apply for alternative sanctions online and also help courts determine ability to pay and determine alternative sanctions. We used Microsoft ASP.NET to develop a responsive (mobile compatible) web application that includes functionalities for a person registering online and submit requests for alternative sanctions. We also developed an engine for calculating ability to pay & suggest alternative sanctions and a court module that enables court administrators to configure parameters used by the Calculation Engine and judges evaluate the person request for alternative sanctions online and make final determination. The system automatically notifies the person the court determination regarding alternative sanction.
Future enhancements include:
1. Intake data enhancements (Web Services/APIs (Automated screening), Mobile APP)
2. Compliance/Follow up Module (Proactive notifications, Adjustments (Things might change), Court Dashboard (Feeds back the results of previous alternative sanction cases))
3. Other components integrations (Identity Management, Case Management, Payment engine, Rules engine)